The web today is full of useful stuff as well as dangerous. More and more users become leery when choosing an internet shop or a mobile app to download. It’s not even about the functionality of your product or the quality of service, a few moments are enough to make a decision. What can you do to make users trust you from the first site?
In this article, we will analyze how to improve your website’s UX design to win the users’ confidence and improve your website’s trustworthiness at the same time.
You might want to take a look at the following related articles:
- Be Careful About These 7 Web Design Trends in 2017
- The Pros and Cons of Hiring a Remote Development Team
- 5 Things to Know Before Starting a Graphic Design Project
- 10 Web Design Techniques Still Applicable in 2017
- Lessons in Story Design from Pixar’s Creative Team
Why Does the First Impression Matter?
What we see creates a certain image in our mind which makes us trust the person or the product or not. We face that “trust” is an elusive thing, isn’t it? So what is it from the perspective of the customers? Before we’ll analyze it from the standpoint of UX, let’s look at it in general.
People can trust you if there are:
- Honesty. The description of your product’s quality, the terms and conditions should be 100% truthful. If you claim that there is a 24/7 support, the user expects to get some assistance even at 2 a.m on Sunday and you should provide it. Also, try to avoid using stock photos. It’s very easy to define that the pics are false and it’s a shame.
- Clarity. All the information about your product or services should be accurate and relevant. The consumers shouldn’t feel that some info is concealed or the description is ambiguous and they have to find answers to their questions somewhere else.
- Safety. People become more conscious about with who and what kind of information they share. Give your prospects comprehensive information on how you protect their data and exhaustive instructions on how to create an account with a reliable password, fill in the credentials, make payments safely and so on. If you sell anything, the checkout process should be safe and if there are any additional payments, they should be clearly explained.
But trust is closely associated with appearance. We judge people by appearance when we first meet them and so do we with websites and mobile applications. And we only need 0.1 seconds to make a first impression about a stranger and 0.05 (!) seconds to shape an opinion of a design. It is not a secret at all that the longer a user stays on your web page the better it is rated by Google which finally leads to the higher trust ratings.
UX Components that Catch the Customers’ Attention
If you are looking for ways to easily compell your customers and make the first impression about your web page then you should have the following:
- Company’s logo catches attention like eyes on someone’s face. People devote it about 6,48 seconds.
- Navigation Menu is the next people look at, so its logic and clarity play an important role whether the user feels comfortable at your site. It takes up to 6.44 seconds to look through the menu.
- Search line must catch the eye because it’s where the client goes when he/she wants to continue with your website. This component takes up to 6 seconds of the customers’ attention.
- The content holds users about 5.59 seconds.
UX/UI Techniques which Assist to Improve Trust
The purposeful and elegant design is vital to creating trust towards your website. About 46% of users take an attractive design as a part of its reliability. Here you should concentrate on such components as:
- Carefully developed site’s template – all steps to perform and elements on your website should be logical, clear to the users and lead to the needed pages.
- Accurate, readable typography and appropriate font sizes – everything should look properly and readable from different devices, suit the style and the subject matter.
- Color harmony – it must stand out of the crowd and create the proper mood with accordance to the site content.
- No plagiarism
In other words, your website design should make people feel that there are great service and quality behind it.
Your website content should complete the design and provide the information which will enhance consumers’ trust and loyalty. It should be truthful, written in an appropriate language and be unique. From the site content everybody should understand:
- Who you are;
- What values you have and what you propose; and
- Why clients should choose you
These techniques are especially of paramount importance when you need a landing page. Consumers will come to your landing page to find out about your product and buy it if they like what they see. So make it clear and eye-catchy and make an access to the order page fast and easy.
8 Markers to Improve Website’s Trustworthiness
Let’s refer to some studies on psychology and user experience behavior to find out what the users say is important to them about UX and is perceived as trustworthiness. Here are the 4 main components people mention:
- High-grade Design
- Fine Print
Now let’s analyze what your website should have to cover these four components and improve trustworthiness:
1. Matching Existing Knowledge
It is a marker of high-grade design and simply means to look like something which we already believe is always true, like we got used to that links are blue. Such markers make people trust the source, especially for older users because they have already had similar experience.
It is one more reputation marker which is especially valuable for online shops. It creates trust when people see such renowned small logos as Visa or MasterCard.
3. Internal Links
Make extensive policies description where the users may find rights and duties both of the seller and customers, refund and return policies, etc.
5. Extensive Content
You may enrich your website content with a blog which is not only useful for SEO promotion but looks like an ongoing concern to the users. They can see that the website is active and there are always some fresh publications with helpful info about your products and related topics. They stick to the site reading some interesting things but don’t just come to buy something.
It is a marker of reputation and can assist you in enhancing trust, loyalty, and sales. Feedback from your clients will make your website look alive and dynamic.
To post the ones that you have is a great idea. This will convince the customers that you provide superior services and show you as a reliable business partner too.
8. Social Media Following
Place widgets on Facebook or Instagram to show how many fans you have. This will also prove that you are an active social media user and people follow you to know what’s new.
Smart usage of these elements alongside with a great design gives you great chances to create an airtight website!
Analyze and Test your Website
After having worked hard improving the users’ trust towards your site you need to analyze:
- How long visitors stay on your website?
- How many of them register and become your customers?
Answers to this question will help you to create the further strategy on improving loyalty and build tight relations with the existing clients. To conduct such researches we advise you to use KissMetrics or Google Analytics.
Also, to understand if your website needs some further changes or additional functionality, you can observe how users interact with it by means of such services as Click Density, Crazy Egg, Heat Mapping, etc. And of course, perform user testing to get more detailed information about user’s behavior and make sure everything works as expected and meets customers’ expectations.
As you see, high quality is very important, but people may even not realize that your product is outstanding if they don’t trust it. If you have a project which you want to live in and need professional assistance, we are always happy to help!