In this interview, let’s take an inside look how Adrian Valeanu, the owner of DesignModo, started a business from a design blog.
1. Many people, including myself, have witnessed the transformation of your Designmodo blog to a business website (or a combination of both). What makes you decide to take such step?
Currently, Designmodo is a combination between a blog and a shop. It is important to know that, originally, it was just a blog, and then only after professional designers joined our team, we decided to make a store, where only high-quality products would be sold. Of course, the blog itself helped us promote the store, that’s why we still continue to publish articles and share our experiences with readers.
2. Is the website redesign part of the transformation of your blog?
Yes, the new design is part of our store promotion and the improvement of sales. Since, before, it was very difficult to find the store section of the site, that is, the products themselves, we’ve decided to exhibit them in a more visible part of the site and in a more convenient form for the customer.
Further changes to the site will make it easier viewing products and purchasing them
3. How has your web presence as the owner of Designmodo blog helped your business?
The blog is first of all a driver of knowledge and inspiration for our readers, and only then, it is a driver for sales. This is a very important part of our entire site. Of course, we should not forget that one needs to offer only high-quality and exclusive products, otherwise the blog won’t help.
4. From your own point-of-view, is it imperative to start a blog first before making an online business?
Of course not. In our case, it was the long arm of coincidence. But I am sure that every business needs a quality blog.
5. For those thinking of starting a business out of their design blog, would this be a good business for them to start from home? And why?
Yes, I started from home myself, and, by the way, I continue to work from home. BUT our designers work in the office, because it is easier to work and be creative in the environment. However, they also began to create all of our products at home. So, I think there are professions in which teamwork is very much needed, and there are people that are not needed in the office, and wasting money on office is not worth it.
6. What advice can you give to someone who wants to start this kind of online business?
Make quality, new and exclusive products.
7. Starting a business similar to yours need the service of a great designer. What is the most expert advice can you give to everyone who are looking for a talented designer?
I agree, this work requires good designers. When searching for a designer, it is important to know where to look and what skills to filter by, sites like Behance and Dribbble will help you do it. Of course, we should remember that Likes and Followers are not always a good indicator. If you need a UI Designer, you shouldn’t send offers to Icon Designers. At the very beginning of the process, you should determine the designer’s zeal to work and interest in the product, correct when necessary, replace when not beautiful.
8. There are so many free UI kits, icons and other design resources available on the web. What makes your premium products so special that many people still patronize it? Do you have any special “ingredients”?
Of course: quality, quantity, exclusivity and professionalism.
9. It was October 2012 when you have announced that you passed the milestone of 1, 000, 000 Downloads and 10, 000 Sales. By the way, that’s really impressive – good job! What can we expect from your products? Do you have plans in the future you want to share to your fans and readers (and Designrshub readers)?
As usual, our customers and readers should await only the coolest and most breathtaking products! And of course super nice and great free products – as a support for the entire design community.
Customers need to know that we will continue to create new products and will certainly update old products.
Of course, we will work on our website and update it, making it easier to use and more interesting.
10. Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to talk to me about how you started a business from a design blog. Do you have any final message?
Since your publication is rather dedicated to business in the field of design (creativity), I would like to tell everyone that, in any business, creativity is an important aspect. Be creative in your endeavours.