Castle, a private fortified residence for a noble or lord, is a fortress which gives protection to its village from enemy attack. It was popular during the Middle Ages – the first formal castle was built in 1066. It was introduced by William the Conqueror when he invaded England where he constructed his castles called motte and bailey castles.
Many popular castles are constructed in Europe – it is because Europe, together with Middle East, was the founding place of the first medieval castles. Now, there are lots of modern castle designs which were restored from its original medieval designs bringing with it the interesting historical significance of the fortified structure.
Here’s a collection of the most beautiful modern and medieval castle designs showing the architectural glory of different countries around the world. Though castles were built hundreds of years ago, there are still some well-preserved castles or those who have been restored to house museums which are worth to pay a visit.
You might want to take a look at the following related articles:
- 20 Church Architecture Designs Worth To Visit One Day
- 20 Stunning Rooftop Pools With Exquisite Designs
- 15 Truly Breathtaking Bridge Designs and Architecture
- Architecture and Interior Design Concepts by Specht Harpman
- Five Crystal Clear Glass House Designs and Concepts